Some care and attention now can prevent costly repairs later.
Roof damage can be especially costly and inconvenient to repair, so it is vital to ensure that your roof is properly protected. Your roof protects the rest of your home, so it should get your utmost attention.
MEIS Roofing & Construction is here to help. We can perform repairs, upgrade your roof, or even replace it entirely. All of our work is guaranteed and completed at a price you can afford. More importantly, we can help you keep your roof in good repair on your own. Here are our top tips to keep your roof safe and protected.
Roof Maintenance 101
Complete these simple tasks on a regular basis to ensure your roof is protected.
- Inspect your shingles. Twice annually, use binoculars to visually inspect your roof for curling, damaged, or missing shingles. Any damaged shingles should be repaired as soon as possible, as this is often more cost effective than replacing the entire roof.
- Check for fungi or algae. Algae and moss both lead to roof damage. Lead or zinc control strips can cut down on the growth of these damaging organisms.
- Inspect for rust. If you find rust on a metal area, you can repair the damage yourself or call a professional. To repair it yourself, scrub the area with a wire brush, then prime and paint it.
- Ensure the flashing is solid. If there is any damage to the flashing, either call a professional or fix the damage yourself. To do so, remove the old caulk, scrub the area clean, and reseal it.
- Seal cracked caulk or mortar. Check the areas around your chimney or other joints periodically for deterioration and repair any that you find.
- Check for signs of a leak. Besides the obvious (water dripping from the ceiling), stains on the ceiling and damp spots around the fireplace are also common signs of a leak. If you find these signs, alert a professional and get help right away.
If you follow these roofing tips, you will be in the best possible position to keep your roof in good repair for many years to come. Furthermore, if you need extra assistance, our professionals are always standing by to help. Call us today to learn more and schedule a roof inspection or consultation.