Missing shingles, clogged gutters, broken seals and weather damage are some of the main reasons Texas properties experience roof leaks. Fortunately, with the help of commercial or residential roof leak detection services, simple repairs can tackle the problems and provide long-term protection. In some cases, property owners opt for moisture meters to help identify a problem. But is this technology the best option if you suspect a roof leak?
Why Are Roof Leaks a Serious Issue?
A roof leak is always a major problem. Left to its own devices, a roof leak will worsen over time, as water seeps into the home and causes everything from mold and mildew growth to structural damage. If you suspect a roof leak, the first thing you should do is find the source so you can fix it.
Watch for These Signs of Roof Damage
Be on the lookout for the following signs of roof damage, especially in the rainy season:
- Water on the interior walls of your home
- Soft or soggy walls
- Mold or mildew (or a moldy, mildew smell)
If you see or smell these signs, the first thing you should do is get a moisture meter.
What Is a Moisture Meter?
A moisture meter is a small, handheld tool that allows you to measure the ambient moisture in a particular area. They’re safe to use here in Dallas because our climate tends to be very dry. High humidity readings are unlikely to cause false positives in the meter.
After you have the meter, use it after the next rainstorm or whenever you notice a wet, mildew-like smell. Be on the lookout for high moisture readings. These readings can indicate that your roof has missing shingles or damaged materials.
If you detect a possible leak, your first action should be to call Meis Roofing. We can give your roof an in-depth inspection, including using thermal imaging techniques, to determine where the leak is coming from and how we can fix it. The sooner we fix the problem, the more likely we are to limit the damage.
Why Choose a Professional Roof Leak Detection Company
While moisture meters can be useful in some cases, they just cannot compare to the equipment used by experienced roofing companies. When you suspect a roof leak, there are some distinct advantages to calling a roofing company immediately.
- Prevent ongoing damage – If you think you may have a leak, any delay will just add to the issue. Prevent serious structural damage with a timely inspection and immediate repairs.
- Identify additional roof problems – For significant leaks, is it better to repair or replace the roof? Your roofers can advise you on your options after an inspection.
- Moisture meters may be inaccurate – Depending on the quality of the tool and the way it is used, some meters will deliver incorrect readings.
- Discover a range of solutions – Roof leak detection can be used alongside a commercial or residential roof maintenance inspection to evaluate the roof’s condition and deliver a comprehensive report. It may be cost-effective to repair the leak, add a coating, or choose a replacement roof.
Expert Roof Leak Detection Across Texas
Meis Roofing is available for professional roof leak detection services in Austin, Houston, San Antonio and the surrounding cities. We offer roof repairs, maintenance, installation and other solutions for the residential and commercial sectors. Call 866-211-1116 or request a free roofing inspection now.